Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Into the Woods-Blog Post #2


         “Wishes may bring problems such that you regret them. Better that, though, than to never get them.” Many people make wishes, and when they come true they regret ever making them. But does that mean that they were better off never making them? To me when you make a wish, it is what you want more than anything in that moment. If you wish for something, you must want it really badly. For me that wish would always be worth wishing for. Even though you might regret the wish later, you still wanted it at one time, in that moment.
The characters in, Into the Woods, make many wishes. The baker and his wife wish for a child. The witch says she will grant this wish if they can bring back items to her; one of which is a white cow. Jack has this cow, and ends up selling his cow to the baker for beans. These beans are magical and end up creating a beanstalk that has a giant at the top. As a result of the giant, the baker’s baby was in danger. A giant ruined the result of this “wanting a baby wish”. Now they have to protect their baby from this giant. Was the wish for the baby worth it, if they can’t even protect it now? Are the results of the wish worth the baby? For me, the answer would be yes. They wanted that baby, and they got it. Even if they can’t protect their baby now, they still had happiness for a short amount of time. They got their wish, and happiness.
I see this a lot in my life. I will wish for something, get it, then regret wishing for it. One time in particular, I wished to go to a Real Salt Lake soccer game. My friend and I ended up getting tickets to the game, but the entire game it was pouring rain. When it started raining, I completely regretted getting those tickets. It was a moment where I wondered why I would wish for this. But at the moment of the wishing, I had no idea that it was going to rain. I had to remind myself that seeing the game is what I wanted the most, and that is what I got.
          Wishing is risky. You can’t rely on your wishes. They are only something we can hope for. Wishes are always worth wishing. It is something you want in the moment, and everyone always says to “live in the moment,” right? So, even when the aftermath of the wish is not what you expected, you still got your wish, and that is all you wanted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment